Publications and Outreach
CEED-MS1 report: Engage first wave ECP/CEED apps.
CEED-MS6 report: Identify initial kernels, benchmarks and miniapps.
CEED-MS8 report: Initial integration of CEED software in ECP apps.
CEED-MS10 report: Initial CEED API.
CEED-MS13 report: Public release of CEED 1.0.
CEED-MS18 report: Propose high-order mesh/data format.
CEED-MS20 report: Performance tuning of CEED software and first wave apps.
CEED-MS23 report: Engage second wave ECP/CEED applications.
- I. Masliah, A. Abdelfattah, A. Haidar, S. Tomov, M. Baboulin, J. Falcou, and J Dongarra, Algorithms and optimization techniques for high-performance matrix-matrix multiplications of very small matrices, Parallel Computing, vol. 81, pp. 1-21, 2019.
- P. Bello-Maldonado and P. Fischer, Scalable Low-Order Finite Element Preconditioners for High-Order Spectral Element Poisson Solvers, submitted, 2018.
- J. Ceverny, V. Dobrev, and Tz. Kolev, Non-Conforming Mesh Refinement For High-Order Finite Elements, submitted, 2018.
- A. Karakus, N. Chalmers, J.S. Hesthaven and T. Warburton, Discontinuous Galerkin Discretizations of the Boltzmann Equations in 2D: semi-analytic time stepping and absorbing boundary layers, submitted, 2018.
- V. Dobrev, P. Knupp, Tz. Kolev, and V. Tomov, Towards Simulation-Driven Optimization of High-Order Meshes by the Target-Matrix Optimization Paradigm, 27th International Meshing Roundtable, Oct 1-8, 2018, Albuquerque, submitted, 2018.
- A. Haidar, S. Tomov, and J. Dongarra, Optimizing GPU Kernels for Irregular Batch Workloads: A Case Study for Cholesky Factorization, HPEC'18, submitted, 2018.
- A. Karakus, N. Chalmers, K. Swirydowicz, T. Warburton, GPU Acceleration of a High-Order Discontinuous Galerkin Incompressible Flow Solver, submitted, 2018.
- V. Dobrev, P. Knupp, Tz. Kolev, K. Mittal, V. Tomov, The Target-Matrix Optimization Paradigm for High-Order Meshes, in review, 2018.
- A. Barker, V. Dobrev, J. Gopalakrishnan and T. Kolev, A scalable preconditioner for a primal discontinuous Petrov-Galerkin method, SIAM J. Sci. Comp., 40(1), pp. B32-B58, 2018.
- R. Anderson, V. Dobrev, Tz. Kolev, R. Rieben and V. Tomov, High-Order Multi-Material ALE Hydrodynamics, SIAM J. Sci. Comp., 40(1):B32-B58, 2018.
- V. Dobrev, Tz. Kolev, D. Kuzmin, R. Rieben and V. Tomov, Sequential limiting in continuous and discontinuous Galerkin methods for the Euler equations, Journal of Computational Physics, 356:372-390, 2018.
- K. Swirydowicz, N. Chalmers, A. Karakus, T. Warburton, Acceleration of tensor-product operations for high-order finite element methods, submitted, 2017
- J. Solberg, E. Merzari, H. Yuan, A. Obabko and P. Fischer, S. Lee, J. Lai, M. Delgado, S. J. Lee, and Y. Hassan, High-Fidelity Simulation of Flow Induced Vibrations in Helical Steam Generators for Small Modular Reactors, Best Paper Award at The 17th International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-17), September, 2017.
- V. Dobrev, Tz. Kolev, C. Lee, V. Tomov and P. Vassilevski, Algebraic Hybridization and Static Condensation with Application to Scalable H(div) Preconditioning, submitted, 2017.
- S. Patel, P. Fisher, M. Min, and A. Tomboulides, A Characteristic-based, spectral element method for moving-domain problems, J. Sci. Comp., submitted, 2017.
- I. Masliah, A. Abdelfattah, A. Haidar, S. Tomov, M. Baboulin, J. Falcou, and J. Dongarra, Algorithms and optimization techniques for high-performance matrix-matrix multiplications of very small matrices, Parallel Computing (PARCO), submitted, 2017.
- K. Raffenetti et. al, P. Fischer, M. Min, and P. Balaji, Why is MPI so slow? Analyzing the fundamental limits in implementing MPI-3.1, accepted, SC'17, 2017.
- P. Fischer, M. Schmitt, and A. Tomboulides, Recent developments in spectral element simulations of moving-domain problems, vol. 79, Fields Institute Communications, 213–244, 2017.
- S. Lomperski, A. Obabko, P. Fischer, E. Merzari, and W.D. Pointer, Jet stability and wall impingement flow field in a thermal striping experiment, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 115A:1125– 1136, 2017.
- V. Makarashvilia, E. Merzari, A. Obabko, A. Siegel, and P. Fischer, A performance analysis of ensemble averaging for high fidelity turbulence simulations at the strong scaling limit, Comp. Phys. Comm., in press, 2017.
- A. Abdelfattah, A. Haidar, S. Tomov, J. Dongarra, Factorization and Inversion of a Million Matrices using GPUs: Challenges and Countermeasures, Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on Computational Science, ICCS'17, Zürich, Switzerland, June 12-14, Procedia Computer Science, 2017.
- A. Abdelfattah, M. Baboulin, V. Dobrev, J. Dongarra, A. Haidar, I. Karlin, Tz. Kolev, I. Masliah, and S. Tomov, Small Tensor Operations on Advanced Architectures for High-order Applications, Technical report UT-EECS-17-749, EECS Department, University of Tennessee, 2017.
- R. Anderson, V. Dobrev, Tz. Kolev, D. Kuzmin, M. Quezada de Luna, R. Rieben and V. Tomov, High-order local maximum principle preserving (MPP) discontinuous Galerkin finite element method for the transport equation, Journal of Computational Physics, 334:102–124, 2017.
- Bazilevs, Y., Kamran, K., Moutsanidis, G., Benson, D. J., & Oñate, E, A new formulation for air-blast fluid–structure interaction using an immersed approach. Part I: basic methodology and FEM-based simulations, Computational Mechanics, 1-18, 2017.
- Abdelfattah, A., Haidar, A., Tomov, S., and Dongarra, J. Novel HPC Techniques to Batch Execution of Many Variable Size BLAS Computations on GPUs, International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS'17), ACM, Chicago, Illinois, pp. 1-10, June 14-16, 2017.
- Ibanez, D., Shephard, M.S., Modifiable Array Data Structures for Mesh Topology, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 39(2):C144-C161, 2017.
- Granzow, B.N., Shephard M.S., Oberai, A.A., Output-based error estimation and mesh adaptation for variational multiscale methods, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 322, pp. 441-459, 2017.
- E. Merzari, A. Obabko, P. Fischer, N. Halford, J. Walker, A. Siegel, and Y. Q. Yu, Large-scale large eddy simulation of nuclear reactor flows: Issues and perspectives, Nuclear Engineering and Design, page 13, Oct., 2016.
- E. Merzari, P. Fischer, H. Yuan, K. Van Tichelen, S. Keijers, J. De Ridder, J. Degroote, J. Vierendeels, H. Doolaard, V. R. Gopala, and F. Roelofs, Benchmark exercise for fluid flow simulations in a liquid metal fast reactor fuel assembly, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 298(3):218–228, 2016.
- V. Dobrev, Tz. Kolev, R. Rieben and V. Tomov, Multi-material closure model for high-order finite element Lagrangian hydrodynamics, Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids, 82(10), pp. 689–706, 2016.
- A. Abdelfattah, M. Baboulin, V. Dobrev, J. Dongarra, C. Earl, J. Falcou, A. Haidar, I. Karlin, Tz. Kolev, I. Masliah, S. Tomov, High-performance Tensor Contractions for GPUs, Procedia Computer Science, Volume 80, Pages 108-118, ISSN 1877-0509, 2016.
- M. B.E., Y. Peet, P. Fischer, and J. Lottes, A spectrally accurate method for overlapping grid solution of incompressible Navier-Stokes equations, J. Comp. Phys., 307:60–93, 2016.
- M. Otten, J. Gong, A. Mametjanov, A. Vose, J. Levesque, P. Fischer, and M. Min, An MPI/OpenACC implementation of a high order electromagnetics solver with GPUDirect communication, The International Journal of High Performance Computing Application, 30(3):320–334, 2016.
- J. Gong, S. Markidis, E. Laure, M. Otten, P. Fischer, M. Min, Nekbone Performance on GPUs with OpenACC and CUDA Fortran Implementations, Special issue on Sustainability on Ultrascale Computing Systems and Applications: Journal of Supercomputing, 2016.
- Ibanez, Daniel A., et al. PUMI: Parallel unstructured mesh infrastructure. ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software (TOMS) 42.3 2016.
- Smith, Cameron W., et al. In-memory Integration of Existing Software Components for Parallel Adaptive Unstructured Mesh Workflows. Proceedings of the XSEDE16 Conference on Diversity, Big Data, and Science at Scale. ACM, 2016.
- Ibanez, D., Dunn, I., Shephard M.S., Hybrid MPI-thread parallelization of adaptive mesh operations, Parallel Computing, 52:133-143, 2016.
2015 and earlier
- P. Fischer, K. Heisey, and M. Min, Scaling limits for PDE-based simulation, In 22nd AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA Aviation, AIAA 2015-3049, 2015.
- A. Kraus, S. Aithal, A. Obabko, E. Merzari, A. Tomboulides, and P. Fischer, Erosion of a large-scale gaseous stratified layer by a turbulent jet - Simulations with URANS and LES approaches, volume 2, pp. 1448–1461. American Nuclear Society, 2015.
- E. Merzari, P. Fischer, and J. Walker, Large-scale simulation of rod bundles: Coherent structure recognition and stability analysis, volume 1. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2015.
- M. Otten, R. A. Shah, N. F. Scherer, M. Min, M. Pelton, and S. K. Gray, Entanglement of two, three and four plasmonically coupled quantum dots, Physical Review B, 92:125432, 2015.
- D. A. May, J. Brown, and L. Le Pourhiet. pTatin3D: High-performance methods for long-term lithospheric dynamics, In Proceedings of SC14: International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis. ACM, 2014.
- R. Anderson, V. Dobrev, Tz. Kolev and R. Rieben, Monotonicity in high-order curvilinear finite element ALE remap, Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids, 77(5), pp. 249–273, 2014.
- Kamran, Kazem, et al. A compressible Lagrangian framework for modeling the fluid–structure interaction in the underwater implosion of an aluminum cylinder. Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences 23.02 2013.
- Tz. Kolev and P. Vassilevski, Parallel auxiliary space AMG solver for H(div) problems, SIAM J. Sci. Comp., 34, pp. A3079–A3098, 2012.
- V. Dobrev, Tz. Kolev and R. Rieben, High-order curvilinear finite element methods for Lagrangian hydrodynamics, SIAM J. Sci. Comp., 34, pp. B606–B641, 2012.
- J. Brown, Efficient nonlinear solvers for nodal high-order finite elements in 3D, Journal of Scientific Computing, 45:48–63, 2010. doi:10.1007/s10915-010-9396-8
- Tz. Kolev and P. Vassilevski, Parallel auxiliary space AMG for H(curl) problems, J. Comput. Math., 27, pp. 604-623, 2009.
- Tz. Kolev and M. Shephard, Conforming & Nonconforming Adaptivity for Unstructured Meshes, Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing, Aug 7, 2017.
- Tz. Kolev and M. Shephard, Unstructured Mesh Technologies, Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing, Aug 7, 2017.
- B. Smith, Nonlinear and Krylov Solvers, Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing, Aug 7, 2017.
- J. Dongarra, Adaptive Linear Solvers and Eigensolvers, Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing, Aug 7, 2017.
- T. Warburton, An Intro to GPU Architecture and Programming Models, Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing, Aug 3, 2017.
- S. Parker, Architectures of the Argonne Cray XC40 KNL System "Theta", Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing, Jul 31, 2017.
- S. Tomov and A. Haidar, MAGMA Tensors and Batched Computing for Accelerating Applications on GPUs, GPU Technology Conference (GTC'17), Session S7728, May 8-11, 2017.
- A. Abdelfattah, M. Baboulin, V. Dobrev, J. Dongarra, C. Earl, J. Falcou, A. Haidar, I. Karlin, Tz. Kolev, I. Masliah, S. Tomov, Accelerating Tensor Contractions in High-Order FEM with MAGMA Batched, SIAM Conference on Computer Science and Engineering (SIAM CSE'17), Atlanta, GA, Feb 26-Mar 3, 2017.
- P. Fischer, Efficiency of High-Order Methods on the 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Phi Processor, SIAM Conference on Computer Science and Engineering (SIAM CSE'17), Atlanta, GA, Feb 26-Mar 3, 2017.
- M. Min, Spectral Element Simulation for Nanowire Solar Cells on HPC Platforms, SIAM Conference on Computer Science and Engineering (SIAM CSE'17), Atlanta, GA, Feb 26-Mar 3, 2017.
- C. Smith, G. Diamond and M.S. Shephard, Fast Dynamic Load Balancing Tools for Extreme Scale System, SIAM Conference on Computer Science and Engineering (SIAM CSE'17), Atlanta, GA, Feb 26-Mar 3, 2017.
- S. Tendulkar, O. Klaas, M.W. Beall, and M.S. Shephard, Parallel Geometry and Meshing Adaptation with Application to Problems with Evolving Domains, SIAM Conf. on Computational Science and Engineering, Atlanta, GA, Mar 3, 2017.
- P. Fischer, CFD, PDEs, and HPC: A 30-Year Perspective, Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing, Aug 2, 2016.
- DEIXIS article about CEED: Scaling the Unknown, Jul 2018.
- ECP article: Co-Design is Key to ECP's Holistic Approach to Capable Exascale Computing, Apr 2018.
- MFEM highlighted in LLNL's Science & Technology Review magazine, including on the cover, Jan/Feb 2018.
- GCN article: Exascale a "main priority" for DOE, Jan 2018.
- ECP article: Co-Design Center Develops Next-Generation Simulation Tools, also in HPCwire, Nov 2017.
- Work with LLNL's Center for Design and Optimization mentioned in LLNL Newsline, Oct 2017.
- Highlight in CASC Newsletter #3, Oct 2017.
- Highlight in LLNL’s 65th Anniversary Book (2017 page), Oct 2017.
- GPU work highlight in LLNL's COMP News page and Livermore_Comp's Twitter feed, May 2017.
- Work with Cardioid mentioned in LLNL's Science & Technology Review magazine, Mar 2017.
- News coverage of CEED announcement in LLNL Newsline and the ANL press release, Nov 2016.
- Work with BLAST mentioned in LLNL's Science & Technology Review magazine, Sep 2016.